Monday, August 8, 2011

birthday pie for the birthday boy

Today is my Hubb's birthday!

He isn't really into celebrating birthdays or holidays but he knows how much I enjoy celebrating them, so he humors me with my crazy requests when it comes to any celebration. A few weekends ago my mom and Curtis came for a visit and brought with them Hubb's birthday gifts (I had to have mom buy it for me since it was a surprise). We bought the gift over a month ago and I was so anxious to give it to him I just couldn't wait two more weeks, so we actually opened gifts way early (per my request only of course). I got him a classic Stratego board game in a collectors box. It is his favorite board game from his childhood and it appears that no one sells it anymore. They had it at Target last year when we were registering but by the time the wedding rolled around they no longer had it in stock. I think he was very happy with the gift and we've played it several times since then. My mom and Curtis got him a gift card to Kohl's because well the boy doesn't have that many nice clothes for someone turning a quarter-century old. I was more excited about this gift I think than he was, because it meant he had to go shopping with me. We made a morning of it this past weekend and bought him a few polos, a new nice pair of jeans, a button down shirt, and graphic tee (that wasn't free from his time as an RA in the dorms- i.e most of his wardrobe). So thanks mom and Curtis for that!

Today Hubb's took the day off and spent it with me. We went to Shipley's and had donuts for breakfast, did a little grocery shopping, and then came home to relax all day. Since he had no gifts to open today I asked him if he wanted me to bake him a cake on his birthday but he requested a pie instead. My mom's apple blueberry pie is both mine and now Hubb's favorite pie flavor so that is what we picked for me to make. The recipe is very easy and quick to whip up actually (minus if you intend to make your own pie crust). Here it is incase you're interested in trying it for yourself.

Momma Landry's Apple Blueberry Pie
6-8 Apples (we use Granny Smith- but use what you like)
1/2 cup of blueberries
1 cup sugar
2 TBSP flour
1 TBSP cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of salt
2 TBSP butter

Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl together. Add in apples and blueberries and mix until everything is well coated. Place a pie crust (homemade or store bought) into a pie pan. Fill pie with apple/berry filling, and dot filling with a few slices of butter. Cover filling with second pie crust, pinch rim to seal. and slice lines to allow heat to escape. Brush some melted butter and sprinkle sugar over the top of the crust
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream or enjoy it cold for breakfast the next day.



And here is the pie in all of its warm delicious glory. Even though I struggled with the crust (I make mine from scratch) I still think that it turned out pretty good. Nothing like baking something with love for the one you love and giving it to them as a birthday gift. Here's to you Hubbs- I hope you had a fabulous day!

with love,
sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment